Sunday, April 1, 2007

Thing 16

Wikis

This is probably one of the few times when I give wikis a "thumbs up." I'm typically throwing the cross at wikis when it comes to research. I often tell students to be careful when referencing information from Wikipedia. In fact, I've read articles about professors banning their students from using it as an authoritative source. It's a good source to use for supplemental info or when you can't find any info about a particular topic at all.

In the case of libraries using wiki as a learning kit, subject directory, etc..., I think it's a great idea. What a wonderful way to share information in an organized and interface friendly manner. I especially love Library Success: A best practices wiki. There's an excellent segment on Adult Programming. Plenty of info to explore! I just love people who share information, don't you?

No comments: